how to play the djembe
Like African drumming?
Learn how to play the djembe and more, anytime, anywhere, FREE, with African Drumming Online
Whatever your experience level, you can become the drummer you want to be with our video lessons
Already a member? Log in here.
Why Join Us?
- Our professionally produced videos are organised and easily accessible to help you progress naturally. Instead of wasting your time searching through hundreds of random Youtube videos, spend it improving your skills
- Become a better drummer while you walk down the street with our ‘Rhythm Power’ exercises. Improve your independence and practice anywhere, anytime, (even if you don’t have a drum)
- Jam and practice with playalong videos. Not only is this fun, it will also help you hear multiple rhythms at once – when you play with other people, you’ll know how to fit in
- Get access to a variety of different rhythms from all over West Africa (not just Guinea) to give you a broad selection of different drumming styles – impress your drumming friends and teach them rhythms they haven’t heard of
- Know exactly what to practice to get results! Our lessons have been developed from over 10 years of teaching, and we know they work. To play faster and more interesting solos, check out Solo Tips and Tricks. To improve your sounds, watch the Djembe Technique section. Whatever your current skill level, you will be able to improve your playing
- Whether you want to start learning how to play the djembe, or if you are already an experienced African drummer, you can get instant access to on-demand video lessons to begin improving straight away
- Enter your details now to get FREE access!
It’s free to sign up – if you need some more convincing, here’s what members have said about African Drumming Online:
“I started drumming only 1 year ago and stumbled across African Drumming Online while searching for new resources to improve my skills. It’s not easy to attend classes and drum circles all the time and I’m not skilled enough yet to drum without instruction. I signed up and I’m totally impressed! The teaching is sound and thorough, there’s notation if you need to see the music on paper and the play-a-long content is great at giving me a real life full drumming experience. I’m impressed. ADO has helped with my listening, picking up, and playing skills. I’ve become much more confident and I’m getting faster and clearer on the drum with my hands. What’s not to like?!” – Paul, Ubud, Bali
“The site is terrific! Very easy to navigate. Lessons are fun and easy to follow. Jacob has a great teaching style – fun and informative. The price was also a huge selling point. It’s a real bargain. I’ve recommended the site to people I know because it’s a great site with easy to follow guides at a very reasonable price. I’ve tried classes, which are great but I don’t get to practise my basics – they focus more on learning rhythms. African Drumming Online is easy to access any time. It’s cheaper than classes or camps, and is a high quality site. Great product! Thanks so much for your expertise!” – Lee-Anne – Wollongong, Australia
Living in West Africa, and a complete drumming novice, I cannot thank African Drumming Online enough for their help, support and tutorials. After just a few weeks I no longer feel I have to hide away when my very talented African friends are playing. I still have a lot to learn, but ADO has given me the confidence to actually play alone or in a group and with all the audio and video available, as well as the one to one help, I know I can only get better. Thank you so much Jacob and the team! X – Kadi – The Gambia
“I am a professional percussionist in a few bands and African Drumming Online has helped me a lot. The best thing about the site for me is that I can access it anytime, which is perfect for me as my time is limited. Jacob’s teaching techniques are clear to understand and suitable for different levels.” – Jose – Melbourne, Australia
“I’ve been playing drums for 20 years, and learned Ghanaian drumming in Israel. I found African Drumming Online very helpful to me since I’ve been trying find theory and practice on Ghanaian drumming, but a lot of stuff was missing. I could find it on the ADO site. Jacob’s online lessons have really improved my drumming technique. Thank you Jacob!” – Sagie – Arad, Israel
“I’m a soon to be retiree that is happy to let drumming consume me! I have been attending classes for about 5 years – try to go to workshops, drumming camps, etc. I teach drumming to school age children which is just amazing seeing their responses. I recently acquired Duns so eager to learn how to play the three of them, plus the bell. I am still making my way through all the African Drumming Online resources, and I love the enthusiasm of the presenter, the ease of how he talks… the humour incorporated! It’s all very natural. The videos are of excellent quality.” – Sally – Wollongong, Australia
“Jacob seems to engage you on a one to one basis. His knowledge of the authentic African rhythms is clearly on display. What I really like is the style of how clearly and thoroughly the rhythms are shown in a step by step process and then how each part links to the others. The instructional information provided will help your drumming, guaranteed!” – Graham – Melbourne, Australia
So, go ahead.